Friday, December 18, 2009

My Texas Trip Part One: Traveling

Colby is hands down the best baby in the world. He was such a good traveler. I was worried about how he would do on the airplanes. I wondered if he would cry the whole time like you always see babies do in the movies. When he got tired he would fight it a little, he did do some yelling, but then he would settle down and sleep for the rest of the flight. On two airplane rides he just fell asleep. I looked down at him and he was asleep. I wondered what the people we ended up sitting next to thought when they realized that the baby was going to be sitting next to them but he proved to them what a good baby he is. He liked looking out the window. And of course he made friends wherever he went. Everybody stops to talk to babies. It is so funny.

People are more helpful when you travel with a baby, too. At the end of every flight I would have to wait for the stroller and every time someone would unfold it for me. On the plane people would let me go ahead of them and help me get my bags over my shoulder. They even offered to help me buckle my seatbelt. Colby would smile at everyone around us and one time I looked behind me to find this old man playing peek a boo with Colby. Babies bring out the best in people.

Colby spent most of his time in the car seat or the stroller. As long as he could see he was happy. I don't know how many times me and my mom said, "He's such a good baby!"

My last flight was delayed for a while and at that point I just wanted to get home so it was a little frustrating to have to wait. But we hadn't waited long when I realized that Colby was poopy so I hurried to change him. In the bathroom I realized that he had pooped up his back all the way to his armpits. So if our plane had been on time I would have been flying high with a poopy mess in the sky. It was a blessing in disguise that it was late so I could have a big bathroom to take care of the mess.

A couple things I learned:

It's "stinky" to forget my deodorant.

It's "dizzying" to forget my medicine.

And nursing Colby on an airplane completely surrounded by men is really uncomfortable.

Stayed tuned for Part Two: Life On An Air Force Base!

3 comments:

tharker said...

Colby really is one of the happiest babies that I know. I'm so glad he made your trip so easy!

That "stinks" that you forgot deodorant ;)

Amy said...

So, so true. It is so uncomfortable to have to nurse surrounded by men.

It is kind of funny how complete strangers of all ages must play with your baby. My favorite comment by far is when people will say "wow! You really have your hands full!" not realizing that I left my older 3 hands-full children at home. lol. Are you kidding? This is vacation!

cate create said...

I'm so glad he was so good for you. I agree that babies bring out the best in people... maybe that's part of what it means to be child-like. I'm looking forward to part two!