Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Winner of the "Worst Mom in the World" Award is....

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I work hard for such acknowledgment. Here's the story:

The last day of swimming lessons for the session is a fun day for the kids to play and go down the slide. At our pool they have two new slides. The one that Dakotah is tall enough to go down is enclosed so it's pretty dark inside. She really wanted to go down it so up the stairs she went. When she got to the top she got scared and wouldn't go down. The lifeguard tried to get her to go down the slide but she wouldn't. She tried to get her to down back down the stairs but she wouldn't do that either. The lifeguard finally carried her down the stairs. I tried to get her to just play in the pool but she really wanted to go down the slide. So back up the stairs she went.

Again at the top she got scared and wouldn't go down!! She really wanted to do it but wouldn't. So here's where the mean mom comes in. I went up the stairs, and with the help of a lifeguard, grabbed her hands and legs and pushed her down the slide. At the bottom, her hair wasn't even wet. She made it and realized it was okay.

My other daughter, however, thought what I had done was mean. She flipped out at me, asking how could I do that, and hit me a couple times and kept glaring at me. Uh, what? I didn't push her down the slide and she was flipping out where Dakotah didn't say anything about what I had done.

I can't win either way.

3 comments:

Reba said...

did Dakotah learn that there's light at the end of the tunnel? hm . . . I think that's a good thing. I guess I'm either mean, or I want my kids to learn they can do hard things. I also immunize them. Because I can. Which potentially could be a mean thing.

Heather said...

I would have done the same thing! Kids need a push now and again (and sometimes it happens to be down a waterslide).

tharker said...

Not a mean mom at all! Sometimes kids need a little push, or even sometimes a big one to face their fears head on. And just like Dakotah realized, they see that it's really not so bad after all.

I would have done the same thing.