Monday, February 21, 2011

Wretched Wind!

I really don't like the wind.

It is the thing that I don't like the most about living here in Washington.

It messes up my hair,  blows tumbleweeds everywhere, makes our sliding door hard to close, gets dirt in my eyes, and makes it colder outside.

But the #1 reason why I don't like the wind is because it blows away the things that we leave on Austin's grave.

Usually we find them somewhere nearby, but this time all Austin's presents are gone, save one.  We looked everywhere possible, but the wind has taken them away this time.  Three of his stuffed animals that had been left to keep him company have been blown away.  The remaining one, which fortunately is the most precious, has been stuffed into the flower vase where it can't go anywhere.

I have tried taping them to the headstone before, but it gets wet and then doesn't stick anymore.  So if anyone has any brilliant ideas about how to keep things from blowing away, I would greatly appreciate if you would share them with me.

4 comments:

Janna G said...

Use a tent stake, attach it to the stuffed animal then hammer it into the ground.

cate create said...

That is so incredibly frustrating. I think the tent stake idea is a great one!

Michelle said...

I've been thinking about this a lot, and not coming up with anything super brilliant. The tent stake would probably work. Or an unbent hanger maybe? (Make it into an upside down U and then put it down into the earth behind the headstone in seatbelt fashion over bears' lap, or maybe put bears' arms over and around it - or secure with ribbon?)
I always try to put decorations back where they go on other babies' graves when I am there. It makes me happy in a strange way.

Amy said...

I'm sorry! That's so frustrating!

Maybe a yard stake? Or tie it to the vase?