Friday, June 26, 2009

Adjusting

Having three kids is turning out to be quite an adjustment for me. I think it's because it's been so long since I've had a newborn, and my girls are pretty self sufficient, I'm used to making plans for my day and having it go how I want. I forgot how much time and energy babies take. Colby doesn't exactly do things according to my plan. So now I have less I try to do every day. Because when Colby needs me, he gets me. My house is a mess, we eat terribly, but I love snuggling with my baby!

Colby has pink eye right now. He's only six weeks old! Savannah had a fever earlier this week and Dakotah has been unusually naughty. Oh yeah, and Clay doesn't get home until 7 or 8 every night.

Okay, enough complaining.

When Colby is asleep I rush around trying to get as many things done as possible. But sometimes when he's asleep I wish he would wake up so I can hold him again. I love to hold him and feel him breathing next to me. Savannah is a wonderful helper. She loves to hold him (when she doesn't have a fever!) so I can do some things while she "babysits" him.

I remind myself to slow down and enjoy it because my kids will grow up all too soon. Some days are hectic but isn't that what a mom's job is all about?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Your house messy? I'll believe that when I see it. Poor baby! I can't believe he has pink eye! It's so cute to see your 6 year old "babysit" your baby. How sweet.

Shellie said...

I can relate to the running around and getting things done when the baby is asleep. Sorry your guy has pink eye (didn't mean to rhyme there). You are a wonderful mom and your kids are blessed to have you!

Heather said...

Pink eye? Yuck, that's miserable.

Enjoy your newborn boy. I already miss my baby snuggles, Ella's just not into anymore. Poor me.

tharker said...

It's amazing how quickly we forget what's it's like to have a baby around the house. I know I'm going to be one crazy mess in a few months because I've been living baby & toddler free for so long. I'll call you and you can give me advice since you'll know exactly how I'm feeling ;)

I love that Savannah is Colby's "babysitter". Cute, big sister!!

Michelle said...

Awesome.
Thanks for the update. I'm sure I'm forgetting too what it's really like to take care of a baby.
If all goes well and I bring one home this December, it will have been 6 years since I took care of a newborn.