Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hard Things

Elaine S. Dalton, the General Young Woman President said at the beginning of her talk: "I had a small plate inscribed with a motto that read, “I can do hard things.” That little plate bearing that simple motto gave me courage. But now if I could change that motto, it would read: “In the strength of the Lord, I can do all things.”

That is how I feel today. In the strength of the Lord, I CAN do all things. Yesterday I did two of the hardest things yet. I am still breathing. I have taken another step. Tomorrow may be a little easier. I went to the hospital to see Janna who just had her baby. I almost didn't go, I had a hard time going back there, like to the scene of the crime. But in wonderful Janna fashion she told the nurses to NOT put her in Room 17, the room I was in. They highlighted it on her chart. So I knew I at least wouldn't have to go to the same room.

Janna was in Room 7, which is the same room my Dakotah was born in! That was good, good things had happened to me here, too. That was a good reminder. Cindy went with me, so I had her strength with me. I paused at the door, starting to cry, but I went in and went straight to Janna. We hugged and cried a few minutes. I didn't see the baby until I was ready. Then I looked at her for a while. Then I held her. I stood holding her and just cried and cried. All I could think was that I wanted my baby, it made me miss Austin so much. I also kept thinking that she's breathing, she's moving slightly, I noticed all the little things that my Austin didn't do. It was very sad for me, but I also realized that it didn't kill me to hold another baby. I'm not suddenly cured, I don't think church will be suddenly easy for me, but I have taken another step.

So, there's a song for everything and the one that I kept thinking of last night says something like--

"With God, nothing is impossible.
But you must reach to take his hand.
With God, nothing is impossible.
Those who have ears to hear will understand."

Today the song in my head is one from Rodgers and Hammerstein--


"When you walk through a storm hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At the end of a storm is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone."

I am still walking through a storm. But I am NOT alone. Not only do I have my loving Heavenly Father and my family with me, I have you friends who care about me. I know about the benefit dinner for Austin and I was blown away. I am shocked that people care so much for us that you are willing to go to such lengths to help us have closer with Austin's headstone. Thank you for caring so much that you are willing to donate money so my baby can have a headstone. I cannot express how I feel. I am amazed by how many people were in on it! I love you all and appreciate you.

12 comments:

Amy said...

I love you, and I am so happy to do anything to help. I was so happy that Janna was in room 7 because of its significance for us. We have all 3 had baby girls born in that room now! I don't think too many people can say that.

Piano Gal Val said...

Andrea, You are SO brave!! I am proud of you and I am excited to see you. I am just moving to Blackfoot - so it's not that far and I will drive to IF to see you. So - no worries! :-) When exactly? Let's make a date.
Love, Valerie

Janna G said...

You did amazing last night. I am so proud that you took that step. I am grateful that you came to see me and susie. I love you!

Heather said...

I know Janna has been a great friend to you, but taking that step shows just what a great friend you are to Janna, too.

Even though it was hard, you did it!

tharker said...

I too loved that quote from Sister Dalton. In the strength of the Lord, YOU can do hard things! You are so brave. I can't even imagine how hard it must have been for you last night, but you did it and I am so proud of you and happy for you that you were able to take this step.

I am so excited about this dinner. I hope you know just how many people care about you and your family. I just can't wait!!!

Melissa said...

I always love that comment from Sister Dalton! I've been blessed with a few occasions in the last year to meet with he personally, and she always talks about that motto! I believe it and you're a living example of if! Good for you!!

Michelle said...

Wow, Andrea! You totally rock! I can't believe you did that. I still don't know if I could make myself face that, and it's been almost a year for me.
I imagine it really strengthened your relationship with your friend, too.
Okay, you're my hero now! Thanks for inspiring me!

Vanessa said...

You are so strong! I am so proud of your courage. You are such a great example of Faith.

River said...

I love you. I am so happy you were able to be there. It's wonderful. I can imagine how hard that must have been. I am always thinking of you. I am so glad to hear it was a survivable experience. I feel like such a bad friend so far away and unable to do as much as I want to. I am however staying up until midnight (when I get home from Standards Night, anyway) and ordering your cd for you. I happen to only remember on Sunday... and I know I can't run to Deseret Book on Sunday. ;-) I love you.

Ms. Kristen said...

You are doing it....one step at a time! You are doing hard things!
Can't wait for Phyliss' dinner!

Alicia Leppert said...

Seriously, this is so awesome. You are so much stronger than you know, and this proved it. I can only imagine the courage it took you to do this, and look what it showed you! You CAN do hard things! It will be slow, small steps, but you will get there.

Emi Edgley said...

Andrea: I found your blog while searching for a quote by my mom, Sister Elaine Dalton. I love seeing how you have used her words to inspire in a very difficult situation. I too, have a child who was born to eternal life (stillborn at 32 weeks), 10 years ago. It has been a difficult but rewarding journey. May God bless you as you continue forward in faith. Emi Dalton Edgley edgleyfamily@msn.com