Monday, November 10, 2008

For Our Benefit

On Friday and Saturday evenings we had the opportunity of eating at the finest diner. We had friendly servers, delicious food, relaxing entertainment, and pleasant company. Oh yeah, and everyone that ate there those evenings were there to support my family. And support us they did!!

To those who don't know what I'm talking about, our friends put together a benefit dinner to raise money for Austin's headstone. It was very well planned, every detail thought of. There were even mints! It was at a beautiful, big house with a wonderful cook preparing everything and donating the food as her contribution. All my friends were guests one night and helpers the other night. There was live entertainment both nights. I didn't know some people that came on Saturday. They contributed money to a perfect stranger. I can't describe the feeling that I had when I would look around the room and know that everyone was there for the specific purpose of supporting our family. It is very humbling and mind-boggling. They raised enough money for us to be able to purchase Austin's headstone and the grave marker that is at his grave now. It is such a relief to be able to go forward with that and not have to worry about the money. We have an appt at the cemetary tomorrow (Tues) so hopefully we can finish it and be satisfied with it. I want it to be just perfect.

They also raised enough money for us to get a couple keepsakes of Austin. Before they buried him, they took a print of his hand. They can shrink it and engrave it into a necklace. They call it Thumbies. I will be able to get the necklace and Clay wants a ring that will have Austin's handprint all the way around it. I love it, we will have a part of him with us always. I'm so excited to have the money to do this! I was going to save a little every month from my money I earn teaching piano, but now I don't have to wait a year to have enough money saved. I can have it in two months.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Kim M!!!! Without you, this may not have happened. Thank you for wanting to help us and planning such a wonderful evening. Thank you to all who helped. There are so many of you who helped!!

When the headstone is put in I want everyone to go see it! I'll let you know when, they said it takes two months from when they get the order to when it's put in the ground.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so happy with how the evenings turned out! And I'm so glad that you don't have to worry about money for those things, and that you can afford to do them just perfect. I love you!

Heather said...

The necklace will be beautiful, I love the idea of having part of Austin with you always.

I can't imagine what a relief it will be to not have to worry about the money any longer. I'm glad it went so well. *Hugs*

Melissa said...

How lovely!! You are a very blessed family.

River said...

I'm so happy to hear it went well. I sure wish I could have been there. I am always thinking of you. I miss you so much. And yes, I am sad we aren't able to go have a girl's day. I'll let you know when Keith's done with training.

tharker said...

I am so happy that it all went well and that you could feel the love of so many people who are concerned for you and your family.

I love the idea of Austin's tiny handprint in the necklace and ring. I can't wait to see the headstone. I'll definitely go see it!

Alicia Leppert said...

Seeing the smile on your face as you described the headstone made it all worth it. I'm so glad we were able to help in some small way.

PRP said...

I'm so glad it all went well. I was thinking of you both evenings. You have some wonderful friends.