Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Feelings

I've been having kind of a tough time with the holidays this year. Every holiday is just a reminder that, oh, my baby is not here to enjoy all these firsts. Christmas has been especially difficult. I find myself wondering why we do all these things like put a tree in our house, hang up lights, the endless presents. Why can't it just be about the Savior and nothing else??

I really didn't want to put a tree in our house. My husband overruled me, though, saying the girls need to have it, which is right. So I set about researching why we do a silly thing. I would like to share what I discovered.

The Egyptians put green palm leaves in their homes to symbolize life's triumph over death.

The Germans and Scandinavians put a tree in their homes to show their hope for the forthcoming spring.

Martin Luther was the first to put lighted candles on a tree, trying to recreate the starlit sky that shone over Bethlehem.

A Christmas tree symbolizes the Christmas spirit.

Okay, now it's easier for me to deal with. So my tree for me is the starlit sky that shone over Bethlehem. The only thing I could find about why we decorate the trees is that Queen Victoria did it, so everyone else did too. Our tree stood in our living room for a week with nothing on it, and I admit it looks better with our ornaments on. I enjoyed myself with my family remembering the memories that go with every ornament.

I wish you all a happy holiday season and hope we all remember our Savior, the real reason of Christmas.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

We had a discussion similar to this for our FHE last night. It was a good reminder to me that if we really try, we can indeed see the Savior in everything around us.

Merry Christmas!

tharker said...

I love that you researched the meaning of the Christmas tree and found a personal meaning in it for you.

Merry Christmas Andrea!

Amy said...

I was wondering what the point of a Christmas tree was too. Thank you for sharing. Another thing I had always heard too was that it points toward heaven to remind us of Christ. I am really glad now that I made your Christmas present with a Christmas tree on it. Merry Christmas!