Wednesday, January 7, 2009

a pair of shoes

I have been reflecting back on the past few days and seeing how different I am from other mothers in some ways. Instead of having beautiful pictures to show of my baby I often show his grave marker. People (including myself) love to hear of the good news of others, new babies, milestones of kids, funny things they say. The most exciting thing that has happened to me this week is my son's headstone was put in the ground. It's not the normal happy news. I feel somewhat morbid by being so happy about it. I feel bad for begging everyone to go see it because maybe that's not what you want to do. What a way to spend a Saturday, right? Okay, so maybe too much thinking has gone into this. Maybe I'm letting what I experienced this morning affect me too much. Anyways, I want to share this poem. It describes things perfectly.

{a pair of shoes}

i am wearing a pair of shoes

they are ugly shoes

uncomfortable shoes

i hate my shoes

each day i wear them, and each day i wish i had another pair

some days my shoes hurt so bad that i do not think i can take another step

yet, i continue to wear them

i get funny looks wearing these shoes

they are looks of sympathy

i can tell in others' eyes that they are glad they are my shoes and not theirs

they never talk about my shoes

to learn how awful my shoes are might make them uncomfortable

to truly understand these shoes you must walk in them

but, once you put them on, you can never take them off

i now realize that i am not the only one who wears these shoes

there are many pairs in this world

some woman are like me and ache daily as they try and walk in them

some have learned how to walk in them so they don't hurt quite as much

some have worn the shoes so long that days will go by before they think about how much they
hurt

no woman deserves to wear these shoes

yet, because of these shoes i am a stronger woman

these shoes have given me the strength to face anything

they have made me who i am

i will forever walk in the shoes of a woman who has lost a child.


~author unknown

8 comments:

Heather said...

I really like that poem.

Michelle said...

I know what you mean! The placing of the headstone felt so good to me. I never would have dreamed that would be a happy, exciting occasion, but it was.
It is a permanent proof to the world that your sweet Austin existed. He was real, and he is your son!
Can't wait to see pictures of it.

::lindsay said...

Thanks for sharing that poem. I'm so excited for you to finally have the headstone in the ground.

tharker said...

I love this poem Andrea! I think it really does describe you and what you're going through beautifully. Especially the end. You ARE stronger because of everything that you have gone through since losing Austin.

I am excited to go on Saturday! I'll see you there!

Amy said...

What a beautiful poem.
I am really excited to see the headstone. I don't find it morbid at all. Austin is your son and he is real. There is nothing morbid about this tribute to him.

Melissa said...

I'm willing to wager that there are more women than we realize that wear those ugly shoes. The more we talk about them, the more we'll know that we're not alone.

PRP said...

That poem is perfect.

I will be thinking of you Saturday and feeling how happy you are.

Ms. Kristen said...

Wow! I love that poem! Congrats on the headstone! Can't wait to see it.
You are doing a good job at wearing your shoes.