Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Adventures in Substituting

Clay hasn't been to church with us a few Sundays this month because of work and traveling. But he completely, absolutely made up for it this last Sunday.

Our Primary Pres asked me Saturday to sub Dakotah's class, I said yes. Then she called back to say that the teacher would be there, I just needed to help. I can do that. Sunday I went in to primary and sat with Dakotah's class but no teacher showed up. So I asked for a book to go over the lesson during sharing time. Then one of the kids in my class kept getting up and running away! Once I followed him to the chapel, then decided that the pres could handle it better than me because the kid knew her better. So she would catch him, bring him back, he'd run off, she'd catch him, repeat. So I decided to bring in reinforcement for class time. I got Clay to come in to my class to deal with this kid while I taught the lesson to the other kids.

The lesson was about Joseph Smith's childhood and included the story about his leg. We were talking about this story when another kid started whimpering. I thought the story was scaring him so I tried to calm him down when he THREW UP all over. Then THREW UP again!! He kept THROWING UP!! Clay ran out for a garbage can, I ran out for the mother, then I bailed on him. I left with the other kids and left him with the mess. Clay was very brave to deal with it all.

Impromptu lesson, runaway kid, throwing up kid, all at once!!??!!! Relief Society might not be so scary after this!!

10 comments:

Amy said...

WOW. That is intense. What a good sport, Clay. I made Emily wash her hands after all that. Here's hoping she doesn't get sick too!

AOlson said...

I don't even know what to say. I think I would have thrown up myself if I had been in the room. What a great guy Clay is!!

Melissa said...

Thats classic! Sometimes primary feels like a three ring circus .

Kate said...

oh my goodness! I TOLD judy she HAD to be there!! and she said she planned on it! I hope nothing happened!
anyways, I don't know how you managed to not throw up too....I can't handle it, yuck!
What a busy busy day, I am sure you were worn out :)

Mark and Jana said...

Poor Clay!

Heather said...

Seriously, way to go Clay. You are a good sport Andrea.

PRP said...

Um, yuck. That is nasty.

tharker said...

Now THAT is the way to break in a substitute!!! Holy cow!

Alicia Leppert said...

Okay, I'm trying not to hyperventilate right now. This is my biggest fear of being in primary. So far I have avoided it, knock on wood.

River said...

OH my goodness. 4 years of primary and I can't say I can compete. I would've been crying in the corner with crayons in my hair or something. Wow you two deserve medals.