Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Name Game

Thanks to everyone who suggested names. A lot of them I had thought of, but there were a few that I hadn't.

So here is the story:

I had decided on a name a long time ago but Clay didn't like it, refused to consider it. He didn't like anything else I suggested either. So I decided that I would call the baby my name until he came up with something.

Clay went with us on Dakotah's field trip to Petland. The whole time I just thought it was great that he came, great that he was taking time to be with Dakotah. Later that night, he let me know that he wanted to get salt water fish.

"Aren't they beautiful? They look so nice. I've always wanted them, so I think we should get them."

Uh, what?

The whole time at Petland he was staring at fish and deciding to get them! Curse the trip to Petland!

So we discussed it.

Me: It's a waste of money.

Him: We could use some of our tax refund.

Me: What about Cuddles? You are hurting her feelings by wanting to get another pet.

Him: She'll enjoy looking at them, too.

Me: They are hard to take care of. They will die. It will be a waste of money.

Him: I read that they do better in a larger tank and there are new filtration systems that make it easier...and on and on he goes.

The thing about Clay is when he decides something he gets very stubborn about it and will get his way. Most of the time he doesn't care and I make the decisions because he doesn't care but when he does care he will stand firm and unmovable. So at the same time he was determined to get fish, he also was against my baby name choice.

A huge warning sign that he is really into something is when he does research about it. So all the next day he kept telling me things that he had read. That night we had a date. Any guesses as to where Clay wanted to go? To Petco to check out their assortment of fish. We had a big argument because he wasn't listening to my opinion and only had a one track mind and wouldn't get the stupid fish out of his head!! So we ended our date early, he went to bed, and I stayed up late playing MarioKart (it's a great way to get out frustrations, hitting the other players).

The next day was Sunday. We still weren't speaking. At church our Bishop said in his testimony that we shouldn't waste our time do things we know are wrong. After sacrament meeting I suggested we were wasting time being mad at each other. At home we talked and became happy with each other again. I thought he realized the error of getting fish and that that would be the end of it.

A couple hours later he said, "I'm getting the fish. But I promise to buy things a piece at a time."

I said, "If you're getting the stupid fish, then I get the name I want for the baby."

At that, my friends, is how we compromised. I also made sure he understood that I was in NO WAY responsible for the fish. I will not clean them or feed them. If one dies it will float until he comes home to take care of it. They are NOT my fish.

So the official name of our baby is Colby Clay Hayes. There is a Colby, Kansas. It's big enough that they have a community college. I think it is so cute and fits well with the other names in our family. 7 weeks to go!

11 comments:

Heather said...

That is hilarious! I adore the name, and I'm sure Clay will learn to love it. Hey, maybe you'll learn to love the fish too, or not.

AOlson said...

This was a GREAT story Andrea!! Thanks for posting it!! I LOVE the name you chose.

tharker said...

This story is so funny!

I love the name Colby. I think it fits perfectly with the other 3 children's names.

I can't wait to meet Colby!!

Shelly said...

That is such a funny story. I am glad you got the name you want and you also don't have to care for the fish! I love the name Colby, I think it is perfect.

Amy said...

Wow, that IS quite a story! Way to get what you want!
p.s. I LOVE the name by the way!

Meichelle said...

That is so funny :).

Tyler and Caryn said...

I heard the other side of this conversation when you were talking to Ty and then your mom on the phone, but it was even funnier reading it. As a teacher, I give your creative writing skills an A+. :) Great post!

Kate said...

Love it! And what a great story to go along with it :)

River Hopkins said...

I love reading everything you write. see look I'm commenting again. and guess what, I'm working on a post for Monday. That's right wait for it... Hey I made no time promises :D

p.s. the concert last night. AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I like your stress reliever...I will never look at MarioKart the same way. Good name choice by the way. :-)
Natalie (the Natalie that's your VT companion, not your sister.)

Megan said...

great name. where there's a will, there's a way.
i think that's how i got a couple of our names too...